My Health Record
My Health Record is a secure online summary of an individual’s key health information and is available to all Australians.
Healthcare providers authorised by their healthcare organisation, like doctors, specialists and hospital staff, are able to access My Health Record when they need to, including in an accident or emergency.
My Health Record does not replace existing health records. Rather, it supplements these with a high-value, shared source of patient information that can improve care planning and decision making.
Information you can access through My Health Record includes:
- Shared Health Summary: A summary, authored by the treating doctor, of an individual’s health status including adverse reactions, medicines, medical history and immunisations
- Hospital Discharge Summaries: A record of an individual’s hospital stay and any follow up treatment required
- Diagnostic reports: Such as pathology and imaging results
- Prescriptions and dispense information: Such as dosages and frequency
- Event Summaries: Clinical summaries of health events entered by the healthcare provider who was involved in the patient’s care to inform other treating healthcare providers
- Specialist letters: Referral letters and reports from one treating healthcare provider to another
Visit the My Health Record website for healthcare professionals to find out more about:
The following online resources can help your practice and staff implement and participate in the use of My Health Record.
My Health Record system policy
As part of the legislative requirements to participate in the My Health Record system, organisations need to confirm they have a My Health Record system policy that addresses a number of areas.
The RACGP as developed the following policy template which provides guidance on meeting the legislative requirements. It is recommended that your practice use this guidance template to assist in documenting your written policy.
- My Health Record Practice Policy template (Word)
- Agreement to access My Health Record template (Word)
Visit the My Health Record YouTube Channel for a series of short videos about the use of My Health Record in various healthcare settings.
For further advice or assistance with My Health Record, please contact your General Practice Support Officer – 4708 8100.