In This Section

Care finder

What is a care finder?

A care finder supports a vulnerable older person who does not have family or friends who can help, and who could not be able to arrange services without intensive support.

We fully fund the care finder services in our region. 

When should I connect a person to a care finder?

Care finders are available to help vulnerable older people who need intensive assistance to access
aged care and other supports.

To receive care finder support, a person must:

  • have no carer or support person who can help them
  • have no carer or support person they feel comfortable with or trust to support them, and
  • be eligible for government-funded aged care.

In addition, they should have one or more of these reasons for needing intensive support: 

  • have difficulty communicating because of language or literacy problems
  • find it difficult to understand information and make decisions
  • be reluctant to engage with aged care or government
  • be in an unsafe situation if they do not receive services.

How does the care finder service work?

If someone requires intensive support, a local organisation can connect them with a dedicated
care finder. The care finder will meet with them, usually in person. This can be at their home or another place they choose. The care finder will ask questions to understand the person’s situation
and support them in working through the steps to address their needs.

What help can a care finder provides?

A care finder can help a person understand the available aged care services, set up an assessment, and find and choose services. They can also help people with access to other supports in the community, accessing services for the first time and changing or finding alternative options.

Care finders can help with the following:

  • talking to My Aged Care and arranging an assessment
  • attending and providing support at the assessment
  • finding and short-listing local aged care providers
  • completing forms and understanding aged care service agreements
  • checking in once services are up and running to make sure everything is okay
  • solving other challenges and connecting to supports in the community, such as health, mental health, housing and homelessness, drug and alcohol services and community groups.

Care finder services in your area: 

You can connect a person to any of the contacts listed in the table below. If there is more than one option, you should contact their preferred care finder organisation. The organisation will ask some questions about why the person needs assistance. The person must give consent for you to provide any information and it is best if the person is with you when you make the call.

Name Areas Covered Referral/intake details
Anglicare Blue Mountains, Lithgow 1300 111 278
Wesley Community Services Hawkesbury, Penrith 02 9263 5177
The Benevolent Society  Hawkesbury, Penrith 1800 236 762

What if a care finder isn’t right for someone?

The person can contact My Aged Care on 1800 200 244 or visit

If someone needs help to talk to My Aged Care or to use the website, they can go to any Services Australia centre. Specialist aged care officers are available at:

  • Services Australia Katoomba (33/35 Waratah Street, Katoomba)
  • Penrith (598 High Street, Penrith)

Or visit the Services Australia website or call 1800 227 475.

Other supports:

Advocacy support - OPAN 1800 700 600
Carer support - Carer Gateway 1800 422 737
National Dementia Helpline 1800 100 500

For further information please email Ella Ibbitson, Program Development Officer – Palliative Care and Healthy Ageing or call 4708 8124.