GPs have the following options to test patients for COVID-19:
- Local GP-led COVID-19 Respiratory Clinics in Blue Mountains, Hawkesbury and Penrith:
these clinics are run by GPs that will undertake COVID-19 testing, but are also able to provide face-to-face consultation to patients with other respiratory illnesses. They help to reduce presentations of these types of patients at local general practices to make it easier for practices to safely manage other patients. They are also designed to reduce unnecessary hospital presentations. They do not require a GP referral, although patients are recommended to undertake a telehealth consultation with their usual GP prior to attending. There is no cost to the patient and the usual GP will be sent any test results. Patients must make an online appointment to attend these clinics.
- Collection at your own general practice (if you offer this option).
- GP Referral to a select range of local private pathology clinics:
these require a GP referral, and some drive through swab collection points are available. The referring GP will be sent test results. These may require an appointment, depending on the pathology lab.
- Patient presents to local Hospital COVID-19 Clinics:
these clinics are located at Katoomba Hospital, Lithgow Hospital, Nepean Hospital, Penrith Club Paceway (drive-through only) and Windsor Showground (drive-through only) and will only undertake COVID-19 testing. There is no cost to the patient and the test results will not be sent to the usual GP. Patients attending cannot make an appointment.
- Drive-through/walk up clinic for Aboriginal community at Cranebrook (NCNS):
this clinic is for all Penrith residents, located at Koolyangarra Aboriginal Family Centre at Cranebrook. No referral or booking is needed.
COVID-19 testing and collection advice
Practices should refer the NSW Health website for the latest case definitions and testing advice. Testing advice is also available in the NSW Health Updates for Health Professionals.
Guidance is available on COVID-19 swab collection (DoH) and collection of nasal and throat swabs for respiratory virus testing (NSW Health).
Anyone referred for testing MUST self-isolate at least until the result is known.
GP-led COVID-19 Respiratory Clinics
GP Respiratory Clinics in Hazelbrook, Penrith and Windsor can assess people with mild to moderate respiratory symptoms (including fever, sore throat, cough and shortness of breath) and test for COVID-19.
The clinics are particularly helpful for patients with a respiratory illness that cannot be safely managed by telehealth alone due to their symptoms requiring a face-to-face consultation, when their symptoms are not severe enough to attend a hospital emergency department.
The GP Respiratory Clinics are similar to the Hospital COVID clinics, but offer medical assessment by a doctor and some symptom management, and are designed to reduce hospital presentations of patients with mild to moderate symptoms. Diverting symptomatic patients to a GP Respiratory Clinic makes it safer for general practice staff and patients to attend their own general practices. This also reduces the risk that surgeries will have to close for quarantine reasons.
Test results will be provided to the patient by phone or SMS (both positive and negative tests) and will also be sent to the patient’s usual GP by the pathologist.
Patients who attend these clinics will receive clinical advice on how to best manage their respiratory symptoms and will be referred back to their usual GP for ongoing treatment via telehealth.
Patients MUST make an appointment online prior to attending a GP-led COVID Respiratory Clinic.
Patients DO NOT need a GP Referral before attending the clinic, but are recommended to discuss their symptoms with their GP in a telehealth consultation first. The clinic is free of charge to all patients and a medicare card is not required to use this service (although personal identification is required).
Windsor GP Respiratory Clinic
6 Kable St, Windsor (next door to MyHealth Kable St Practice)
Open Monday to Friday, 8.30am to 12.30pm and 1.30pm to 5.30pm
Book an appointment online
Hazelbrook GP Respiratory Clinic
Hazelbrook General Practice, 9 Rosedale Avenue, Hazelbrook
Open Monday to Friday 8.30am - 12.30pm and 1.30pm - 5.30pm.
Book an appointment online
There is limited parking for frail and disabled onsite. Patients should park at the nearby shopping centre. The GP Respiratory clinic is set up in demountable buildings located at the rear of Hazelbrook General Practice.
Penrith GP Respiratory Clinic
Our Medical Home, Homemaker Centre
2227 Wolseley Street, Jamisontown
Open 7 days, 9.00am - 5.00pm
Book an appointment online
Patients should park in the Our Medical Home carpark and follow the signs to the COVID Respiratory clinic, which is set up behind the Our Medical Home clinic, in a temporary clinical facility.
Local Hospital COVID-19 Clinics
The Local Health Districut is operating COVID-19 testing clinics at some hospitals in our region, as well as Drive-Through clinics. The Clinics are for anyone experiencing symptoms of COVID-19. Patients should take their Medicare card to assist with the registration process.
Please note these clinics are ONLY for COVID-19 testing.
- Lithgow Hospital (via main entrance)
- Nepean Hospital (via West Block entrance)
Follow the signs outside the hospitals rather than entering through the main entrance. A very limited walk-in COVID-19 testing service operates from Nepean Hospital. If you can, attend one of a drive-through clinic, where you can remain in the comfort of your car.
Coronavirus clinics are accessed from outside the hospital. Please do not walk through the hospital to access these services.
- Blue Mountains Hospital: Drive-through Clinic (enter via Woodlands Road) view map
- Hawkesbury Showground: Drive-through Clinic ONLY. (enter via Gate 3 Racecourse Road, Clarendon) view map.
- Penrith Club Paceway: Drive-through Clinic ONLY (enter via Ransley St, off Mulgoa Road view map
- Penrith Regatta Centre: Drive-through ONLY (enter via Gate B, Old Castlereagh Road, Castlereagh) view map
Operating hours are available on the NBMLHD website
Drive-through clinics are open for vehicular traffic only. Please do not walk-in to these clinics.
How patients can recieve results via sms
If a patient has been tested at one of the COVID-19 Hospital clinics the results will be sent to the patient's mobile, usually within 72 hours.
Please remind patients to register to recieve results. Patients can register by sending the words ‘my result’ to 0488 826 572, a sms will be sent to the registered number to verify identity. There are also instructions on handouts at the Clinics.
Private Pathology Labs in our region
- Emu Plains: Barratt & Smith Pathology, Unit 2, 100 Old Bathurst Road, Emu Plains. All patients must have a pathology request form for COVID-19 testing prior to making an appointment. Call the COVID-19 Booking Hotline on 1800 026 622 or 9111 3405 (Mon to Fri 9am – 4pm). By appointment only Monday to Friday 8.00am - 4.00pm. COVID-19 testing is bulkbilled providing medicare card is provided.
- Richmond: Laverty Pathology Drive-through at Hawkesbury Family Practice, Rear Carpark, 86 Lennox Street, Richmond. Monday to Friday 8:00am - 1.00pm. No request from is required. Patients must show ID and Medicare card to be bulk-billed. Please be aware that patients without a valid Medicare card will incur an out of pocket fee.
- Windsor: ACL, Hawkesbury District Health Service, 2 Day St Windsor. Monday - Friday 9.00am - 4.30pm. No referral required.
- Windsor: Douglass Hanly Moir, 310 George Street, Windsor. All patients must have a pathology request form for COVID-19 testing prior to calling our COVID-19 Appointment Booking Hotline on 1800 026 622 or (02) 9111 3405 (Mon–Fri 9am–5pm, Sat 9am–12pm). Appointment times are Monday to Friday 7:30am - 3.00pm. COVID-19 testing is bulkbilled providing medicare card is provided.
- St Marys: Laverty Pathology Drive-through at St Marys Rugby League Club, 213 Forrester Road, St Marys (Monday to Friday 8.30am - 4.00pm). No request form is required.
- Penrith: Laverty Pathology Drive-through at 3 Doonmore Rd, Penrith (Monday to Friday, 8am - 4pm). No request form is required.
Access links to local Private Pathology Labs.
Free COVID-19 testing at Koolyangarra Aboriginal Family Centre at Cranebrook
Now open for all Penrith residents at Koolyangarra Aboriginal Family Centre at Cranebrook.
Both a drive-through and walk-up service is available. The team will give patients all the info they need to step them through the process. No Booking and NO call ahead is needed. GPs can refer or there is a GP onsite who can also provide referrals.
Open Monday to Friday, 10am to 4pm daily.
Koolyangarra Aboriginal Family Centre
Cnr Pendock & Kington Place, Cranebrook
A partnership of NSW Health, Nepean Community & Neighbourhood Services (NCNS), and Nepean Blue Mountains Public Health Unit and Aboriginal Health Units to implement FREE COVID-19 testing in your local community, in collaboration with Histopath diagnostic specialists.