The Third Australian Atlas of Healthcare Variation (2018), released on the 11 December contains some interesting and challenging data for all primary and specialist healthcare providers in the NBM region.
How is the care of your patients affected by this information?
There are significant variations from state and national averages within NBM local areas, including:
- Antibiotic prescribing for children 9 years and under
- Colonoscopy and Gastroscopy rates
- Thyroid function testing, neck ultrasound and thyroidectomy rates
- Cardiac stress testing rates
- Dispensing rates for antimicrobial, antipsychotic and opioid medicines
Although there are many potential explanations for these variations, including the age-sex profile of practices within the NBM region, each GP and specialist practice should consider auditing and analysing their own patient data against the region’s summary data and compare their practice to best practice guidelines.
Read a NBMPHN Regional Summary of the Third Australian Altas of Healthcare Variation 2018
Read the full Third Australian Atlas of Healthcare Variation 2018