Cultural Competency Training - Lithgow
Date: 16 February 2019 9:00am - 4:00pm
Audience: General Practice
CPD Allocation: 40 Category 1 RACGP points
Venue:Lithgow Clinical School, University of Notre Dame
Address:University of Notre Dame, 2B Col Drewe Drive, Lithgow
Eliza Pross (BA, BSW, MPS) is a Yuin/Nuenonne woman and Aboriginal Consultant engaged by Wentworth Healthcare. She has worked extensively with communities and service providers in the design and delivery of Aboriginal community, health, and mental health services in urban, rural and remote settings.
Mitchell Beggs-Mowczan is a Wiradjuri man who was born and raised on Darug Land. Mitchell has worked in Aboriginal Health for 8 years and is currently completing a Bachelor of Community Services.
Attend this training to develop practical skills and knowledge for working with Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander people. The day will be interactive, and allow time for participants to learn, ask questions and explore themes and issues relevant to healthcare. There will also be an opportunity to meet with a local Aboriginal knowledge holder to discuss local issues.
- History Vs Culture: conceptualising Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander experiences of health and illness
- Demonstrate a knowledge of the historical impact on contemporary Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people
- Apply practical skills and confidence to support Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people within the primary care setting
- Identify steps your practice can take to provide culturally safe and acceptable healthcare to patients
- Recognise the diversity of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander cultural perspectives of health and wellbeing
There will be a pre-reading activity prior to the workshop and a reinforcing learning activity afterwards. GPs who complete all three components will receive 40 Category 1 CPD points.
8:45 am I Arrival, tea and coffee
9:00 am I Training workshop starts
4:30 pm I Finish
For more information, please contact Barbara or Mitchell on 4708 8100.
RSVP date: 11 February 2019
Register for the Event
Please complete the information below to register for the event